Wednesday 20 September 2017

51-60 Books of 2017

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And I don't have anything else to post, so I hope you enjoy my 51-60 Books of 2017!


51. Before I Die, by Jenny Downham
This is a re-read that I have consumed like, a million times. Every time I fall in love with the story, and even though it has some sad themes in it, that isn't the be-all and end all in it. To quote the blurb, "and sometimes the most unexpected things become important." And that message, that it's important to live and love and experience things no matter what's going on around you, is one of the reasons why I love this book so much.  


I'd only read this book once before, and it was one of my favourites last year. The purpose of re-reading was so I could fully immerge myself into the story before carrying on with the sequel afterwards. The link to my review is in the title if you haven't seen my full thoughts and opinions on the first book in the trilogy.


Considering how much I had enjoyed the first book, I was both excited and hesitant about whether this one would be just as good. I was not disappointed. Although a lot happened in this book, like everything felt like it was super crucial to the plot, and I did not want to miss one detail! Also, even though there was more tension than there was before, I felt like it was building for an explosive ending to the trilogy in the third and final book. And I have to say, I'm nervous for how it's going to end! Great job!


I read and reviewed this in exchange for a free e-copy. My review is linked into the title, and you can check it out if you want to. I had a couple of issues with it, but overall, it surprised me in the plot, how quickly the pacing changed, and it surprised how quickly I became invested in the story. If you want a story that is definitely unique, I'd recommend this (though probably only mature readers, as it contains some mature content).

55. All That She Can See, by Carrie Hope Fletcher
When I think about this book, I just think of how sweet, and just how lovely it is! There are no words. I recommend this to anyone who just wants a sweet and heart-warming and just amazing book about pie! (For all my musical theatre fans, this is like Waitress, but in a book!)


56. Us (One Day #2), by David Nicholls
This book was kind of all over the places. I just wasn't that interested in the story. The backstory between the two whose relationship is currently in turmoil is pretty interesting, seeing the journey they took to get to where they are, but it gives the impression that a steady husband- is boring, and even though I tried hard to insert interest into the story, it was so hard! Nevertheless there were good points, but for the most part I had a hard time with it.


57. The Circle, by Dave Eggers
This book was good, but the ending was just super frustrating. I won't tell you why, because the reason I thought it frustrating is deep in the plot. I like the concept, and the mystery behind the idea of the circle, but I did not like or relate to the main character, Mae, in any shape or form. It was a compelling and addictive book, and I enjoyed the writing (I flew through it), but I guess I was just wishing for it to end differently. If you like the idea of social media taking over the world, maybe think about giving it a read.


58. History Is All You Left Me, by Adam Silvera

Maybe it was the hype, but this book didn't sit as well as I thought it would. Yes, those staccato bursts of laughter mixed with the sharp surprises of grief were in there, but it just wasn't everything I was expecting it to be, from the way people talked about it. It was wonderful, don't get me wrong, and I loved the direction it took me in, especially as I wasn't expecting it, but maybe the hype left me just a little bit disappointed. Sorry guys...


59. The Girl On The Train, by Paula Hawkins
Saying that this book pulled me into it as much as the film is kind of an understatement. I finished this in less than a day and I can see why they made it into a film. It's so easy to get sucked into the whole story, and it's so fun being able to piece together the clues from the three perspectives as the book progressed. I had already seen the film by this point, but honestly, either would do. They are both so clear, which is why the unreliable narrator thing is done so well, that you know, you are absolutely clear on what you saw, but also not at the same time, and that is what sold the book for me when it came to reading it.


The first book in the Infernal Devices, I have reviews for all three of the books in the trilogy. Check it out, the link is in the title if you would like to see my thoughts. Do I even need any words to describe this book? I don't think so, except that I recommend this for ANYONE.



So that is my 51-60 Books of 2017! I hope you enjoyed it, and if you've read any of these books, let me know in the comments!
I hope you have a wonderful day and I will see you all on Friday!
Byeeeee!

-Abi xxxxx







No comments:

Post a Comment