Monday 7 May 2018

One Dark Throne (Three Dark Crowns #2), by Kendare Blake

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And I was kind of hesitant as for whether I should write this review or not. One on hand, I don't have a lot to say about this book. On the other, there is nothing more satisfying than finishing a trilogy or a series, and having reviewed the whole lot!
So I'm writing this now, and all the thoughts are coming back!
Enjoy!

Title: One Dark Throne
Author: Kendare Blake
Genre: Fantasy
Release date: 19th September, 2017
Status: Book 2/4 in the Three Dark Crowns series
Pages: 450
Blurb: "THE TIDES ARE TURNING ONCE AGAIN... BUT
WHICH SISTER WILL BE THE LAST ONE STANDING?

MIRABELLA's victory seemed assured, but suddenly
she faces attacks like never before.

KATHARINE, once known as the weakest, is now
rumoured to be the most lethal.

ARSINOE is keeping a secret that could be both her
undoing and her best chance at victory...

Time is running out, and each sister will stop at
nothing to win the throne."

My Throne
Okay. Okay, okay, okay. From the time that I bought this book, I was eager to pick it up, but something was stopping me, which now I think was because of how much I enjoyed the first, I was worried about how much I was going to like this one. And I was sort of right. Because even though I enjoyed this one, and I wasn't able to predict how the story was going to go, the second certainly didn't live up to the love of Three Dark Crowns.

It was a decent book, there were all my favourite characters, like the three sisters, and  Jules and Joseph, but there didn't seem to be much going at the start. When the year starts where they're officially allowed to kill each-other, really wasn't clear, and I was kind of waiting for there to be some form of event where it's meant to start, or even an arena, like in the Hunger Games, for example.

But still, I reached maybe halfway, and it suddenly became amazing, just as good as the entirety of Three Dark Crowns. And I soared through the second half in like a day. And all the feelings that I'd developed in the first book... returned.

I'm not going to spoil the plot, but some of these scenes (from the halfway point) had me close to tears. And then it's all like what? What? WHAT? I had no idea what Blake was going to do to these characters.
Enough of that. I'm going to end up spoiling the story if I say any more.

What continued from the first book:
  • Until a certain point, I had no clue who I was rooting for to win the crown.
  • The magic was still really cool.
Overall, a decent book. Not as mind blowingly awesome as the first one, but after writing this review, some more of my interest has returned, and I will for sure pick up the next one when it comes out (later this year?????). I am so happy that there are two more books out for this because I will not accept the ending to this book. It's not the end.
It can't be.

So that is my review for One Dark Throne! I hope you enjoyed it and feel free to comment about literally anything (book related.)
I hope you have a wonderful evening and I will see you all on Wednesday!
Byeeeee!

-Abi xxxxx


No comments:

Post a Comment