Monday 14 May 2018

King's Cage (Red Queen #3), by Victoria Aveyard

Hey guys, this is Abi here, 
And today I am continuing on with my alternate review marathon! 
Up next is King's Cage, the third book in the Red Queen series, which will officially be wrapped up on Tuesday (because War Storm is out!- And I am so excited about that!) 
So let's get to it! 


Title: King's Cage
Author: Victoria Aveyard
Genre: High fantasy 
Release date: 7th February, 2017
Status: Book 3/4 in the Red Queen series
Pages: 507
Blurb: "Mare Barrow is a prisoner, powerless without her lightning, 
tormented by her lethal mistakes. She lives at the mercy of the boy
 she once loved, a boy made of lies and betrayal. Now a king, 
Maven Calore continues weaving his mother's dead web in an 
attempt to maintain control over his country- and his prisoner. 

As Mare bears the weight of Silent Stone in the palace, her once-
ragtag band of Newbloods and Reds continue organising, 
training and expanding. They prepare for war, no longer able to 
linger in the shadows. And Cal, the exiled prince with his own 
claim on Mare's heart, will stop at nothing to bring her back. 

When blood turns on blood, and ability on ability, there may be 
no one left to put out the fire- leaving Norta as Mare knows it 
to burn all the way down." 

My Thoughts
This has to have been my favourite Red Queen book to date. After a decent start to the series and then a shaky second, I was sort of nervous as to how this one was going to turn out.
I truly had nothing to worry about.

Although at some points there wasn't a lot that was going on, there wasn't a chapter that I wasn't intrigued about what was going on. (This was the first 100-200 pages, when this occurred, by the way.) Those chapters were interesting because we got to take a closer look at the relationship between Mare and Mavel, since the reveal of his betrayal and take over.
But the last 300 pages were INSANE. I read those chapters in maybe a day and a half, they were so good. At this point, I have no idea what to say other than the fact that I will be picking up War Storm as soon as I possibly can.

King's Cage takes place a while after Glass Sword, when Mare is trapped within Maven's keep, shackled; her powers trapped away. Battered and bruised, she has to watch Maven destroy everything she has worked for, whilst meanwhile the rebels plan and prepare outside the castle walls, with Cal by their side. Mare must wait, and wonder, will she escape to fight another day?


What I liked:
-All my favourite characters were there, and the weren't perfect. They had all been affected by the events of the first two books, and it was so nice to read about them again.
-How conflictive the relationship between Mare and Maven is, and Maven himself, as a character.
-The ending, OMG the ending was amazing.
-How clear how different the characters were from Red Queen to now.

Overall, King's Cage was a highly entertaining read and I am excited to find out how it's all going to wrap up in War Storm- the fourth and final book in the series!

So that's going to do it for this review- I hope you enjoyed it!
I hope you have a wonderful day and I will see you all on Wednesday!
Byeeeee!

-Abi xxxxx 



No comments:

Post a Comment