Wednesday 18 April 2018

Tiny Pretty Things (Tiny Pretty Things #1) by Sona Charaipotra

Hey guys, this is Abi here, 
And I feel like I'm finally getting on top of the reviews of all the fantastic books I've been reading recently! 
Saying that, there's still a long way to go! 
The next one is Tiny Pretty Things, by Sona Charaipotra!
Enjoy! 


Title: Tiny Pretty Things
Author: Sona Charaipotra
Genre: Contemporary(/thriller because of how intense it is!)
Release date: 26th May, 2015
Status: Book 1 in the Tiny Pretty Things duology
Pages: 450
Blurb: "Black Swan meets Pretty Little Liars in this soapy, drama-packed 
novel featuring diverse characters who will do anything to be 
the prima dancer at their elite academy. 

Gigi, June, and Bette, three top dancers at an exclusive 
Manhattan Ballet School, have seen their fair share of drama. 
Free-spirited Gigi just wants to dance- but the very act 
might kill her. Privileged New York dancer Bette's desire to escape the 
shadow of her ballet star sister brings out a dangerous edge in 
her. And perfectionist June needs to land a lead role this year or 
her controlling mother will put an end to her dancing dreams 
forever. 

When every dancer is both friend or foe, the girls will sacrifice, 
manipulate, and backstab to be the best of the best."

My Thoughts
There's nothing like a super dark and intense ballet story to keep you on your toes. 
Easiest review all year, I bet, the thoughts I have on this book. 

OKAY. So, the backstabbing ballerinas in this book, if it was me, I would for sure have a MENTAL BREAKDOWN, the amount of pressure and competition between these characters. 
They're all about ready to kill eachother for that lead role. And then the personal storylines come in. 
Bette basically wants to stop being in her sister's shadow, and stop being overlooked. And because her sister is known for being a rock-star as the sugar plum fairy in the Nutcracker, she also wants this part. And she's taking pills. Like a lot. She's also the meanest and most vicious of the bunch, so even though there are times that you feel sorry for her, you almost don't want to because of everything she has done to a bunch of different people. 

Then there's Gigi, who has nabbed the sugarplum fairy. She has a natural talent for ballet, but she has a condition where dancing could actually kill her. She also doesn't want to tell anybody either. She also has to go through so much with the other girls... basically they hate her because she's such an amazing dancer. She was the nicest character by far. 

June wants to be the best more than anything. She is constantly the understudy, always being overlooked, and she always works twice as hard as everyone else. I can kind of relate because I know what it's like to be overlooked, but because she's under pressure from her mum to score a lead role or she'll remove her from the ballet school, she becomes kind of desperate and ruthless. She's also anorexic/bulimic, and that's a part of wanting to be the best. 

Other parts I loved: 
  • That diversity was included, especially in a ballet studio, where there's a right way to look and a wrong way in ballet. 

  • The technical terms. I loved that they did the research and included the technical terms for ballet (like pirouettes and arabesques.)
  • It addresses mental health issues, such as eating disorders, addiction and disabilities. 
  • It was such a dark, addictive read. 

What could have been better:
  • The school knew there was bullying going on, but they didn't make a move to stop it. 
  • There wasn't much of an ending. It kind of just fizzled out, without any answers. *Sigh*. 

Overall, this is probably my favourite book of the year so far! Yes, I'm saying that. 
It was highly addictive and I cannot wait to pick up Book two and see how it all ends! 
I guarantee, once I finish all of my TBR, it is going to be the second book I pick up (I say second because I have to order it in first.) 

Right! That was my Tiny Pretty Things review! I hope you enjoyed it, and I will see you all on Friday! 
Byeeee!

-Abi xxxxx






No comments:

Post a Comment