Monday 19 March 2018

To All The Boys I've Loved Before (To All the Boys I've Loved Before #1), BY Jenny Han

Hey guys, this is Abi here, 
And there's no shying away anymore!
I have to continue with all the reviews I have yet to post! 
Up next, To All The Boys I've Loved Before!
Enjoy!

Title: To All the Boys I've Loved Before
Author: Jenny Han
Genre: Contemporary & Romance
Release date: 15th April, 2014
Status: Book 1 in a trilogy
Pages: 420
Blurb: "What if all the crushes you ever had found out 
how you felt about them... all at once?

Sixteen-year-old Lara Jean song keeps her love 
letters in a hatbox her mother gave her. They 
aren't love letters that anyone else wrote for 
her; these are the ones she's written. One for every 
boy she's ever loved- five in all. When she 
writes, she pours out her heart and soul and
says all the things she would never say in real 
life, because her letters are for her eyes only. 
Until the day her secret letters are mailed, and 
suddenly, Lara Jean's love life goes from 
imaginary to out of control." 

My Thoughts
This could quite possibly, be one of the cutest books that I've ever read. It just reads with such humour, such cuteness that it felt like a dream. (If that's not too cheesy, though I feel like it is.) It has a clear plot, with the letters being mailed out, and all the guys coming up to Lara Jean, who I absolutely loved as a character, as well as the two other Song sisters, and I loved all the cute and funny and not cheesy moments throughout the book.
I am so glad that I decided to pick this book up ahead of schedule.
The thing with To All the Boys I Loved Before, was that I could not put it down once I picked it up. It was one of those books where I lost track of the pages, it was such a good read, and that doesn't happen often.

Now, a bit about the premise. This is the story of Lara Jean and every time she has a crush on a boy, she writes a letter to that boy- and she doesn't half heart it- she puts everything, all her feelings, her thoughts about the boy that she's ever thought. She doesn't mail it, but when she's done, she puts it in a hatbox and keeps it. It's not specifically to the boy, but it's a way of clarifying her feelings, of moving on. And then one day, they're all mailed out.
Major disaster. This book is about Lara Jean dealing with the repercussions of the letters being mailed out. And a big part of what I like about this book is how relatable her reactions are to what I would do. Like I feel like I would react in exactly the same way.

Also, another big part about what I liked about the book was how much Lara Jean's confidence grew within the book, but that her personality didn't change. That is one thing that I really don't see that often, even in contemporaries. But her personality didn't change once throughout the book, except for the fact that she stopped doubting herself and started to see the value in herself, and a large part of that was Peter.

Peter was a character that I wasn't ultimately sure about when he was introduced. But in less than a conversation, my opinion had changed so much it surprised even me.
But he's such a sweetheart, I love him so much. He has a special place in my heart at the moment.

I loved the other characters too, but Kitty and Margot and their Dad in particular. It's so rare to see a family that loves and cherishes each-other as much as this family does. They all try their hardest to make their little but compact family work that you can just tell that they love each-other to their heart's content and that's just something I rarely get to see.

Also, (there's a lot of things I loved about this book) all the baking sounded so delicious. It made me hungry every time I read about the food.

On the other hand, there actually wasn't that much that I disliked about this book. The only critique I have is that it all seems a bit young, the way everything was described was a bit young. But I soon got used to that and thoroughly enjoyed it!

Overall, this is an astounding amazing read and at this point I am loving it all. (Including the second book, which I have already read- review coming soon. And it won't take another week, I promise!)
Recommend this to people that want a YA pick me up!

So that is all I have!
I will be back on Wednesday with some kind of post.
I hope you have a lovely day and I will see you then.
BYEEEEEE!

-Abi xxxxx







No comments:

Post a Comment