Wednesday 31 January 2018

January Wrap Up (2018)

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And this month has been more balanced than I thought it would be. I've read less books, but all but one have been new (one re-read).
I've watched more, and even though I haven't done much in terms of working on my manuscript, I've prioritised my career, which is kind of the way it should be.
Here's my wrap up!

BOOKS
I've read a total of five books this month, and enjoyed every single one of them, which I have to say does not happen often, so it came as quite a surprise!

There is a review up for this if you want a more in-depth view on this book, but overall I thoroughly enjoyed it. It got off to a bit of a rocky start, what with it being kind of info dumpy, but it turns into a book where you don't know what's up sometimes, a book that you just don't want to stop reading, with each new chapter. Frankly, it was an amazing way to kick of 2018!


This review is back from 2016, so I doubt it's that detailed, but I'm going to link it anyway because, I loved it then, and I loved it in my re-read this time around as well. It wasn't my absolute favourite, but it still remains a comfortable 4 star read, a story about bringing the generations together, and not fearing who you are. These individual stories fit very comfortably side by side, so they mould into one big story about love and family.

I have a review for this too! Although the start was a tad bit slow, it picked up immediately! This novel is well worth the hype, and will most likely end up on my Favourites list of 2018, for sure! It was on another level of fantasy than I have read, and although I waited so long to pick this up, it means there's less time before the sequel is released, which I can't wait for!

4.The Diary of Anne Frank
Such a hard-hitting book that almost had me in tears at the end- and I was reading this on the bus! I really can't fault this. But what kind of stops you in the track is that you can clearly picture Anne writing this in her diary, where it's so easy to see the circumstances, to put yourself in that place with her, and it's just so powerful! I recommend this not just to readers, but everybody. It's just one of those books that everyone should read.

5. Fireblood (Frostblood #2), by Elly Blake
I've had a month of reading a bunch of fantastic books and this one is no exception. Elly Blake's writing is so smooth, going from one plot point to another does not seem forced at all. I read this book in four days, and I was never so surprised at how good a book was as when I devouring every word in Fireblood. The story takes place a few months after the first one ends, where Ruby's presence has disrupt the peace of the Frostblood court. From that point on, we see more of the world from enemy lines, and see Ruby attempt to control her wild Fireblood powers. And let me tell you, there was never a dull moment when I was reading this. I have no clue how Elly will wrap this up and I can't wait to find out!

WRITING
Like I said at the top, I didn't do a whole lot of writing. 
I looked over maybe 30-40 pages at the start of the month, caught in the want to write, write more, and write yet more. But around the middle of the month, I went back to college, and something else took priority. From the rate I'm going, I should finish it by about half-way through the year, around the time that I finish college, but I'll finish my second draft as soon as I can. 
Until then, college takes priority. 


FILMS AND TELEVISION SHOWS
TV SHOWS
1. The Next Step
I've had this recommended on YouTube for the longest time and I continued to fight it, unsure whether I wanted to watch it because of how many episodes there were (there is literally 5 seasons x at least 30 episodes a season), but alas, I could not resist any longer. This was about a fortnight ago, and I am now halfway through season 3! It was a bit slow going, especially the first half of season 1, but then it just picked up and kept getting better! It's about a dance club/building/business, and there's A-Troupe, B-Troupe, and J (Junior) Troupe. A-Troupe is competitive, so it goes to regionals etc. There's also a ton of drama, most of which is romantic hehe. 
But it's really good, so go watch!

2. Orange is the New Black
Now, I'm not as far in as "The Next Step" because I'm on like episode 10, but this was the tv show that I jumped into, having finished Pretty Little Liars, a couple of days into 2018! 
This is such a crazy show, I know that even from just 10 episodes, and I cannot wait to see what happens in each season!


FILMS
1. Fame
It may not be the original, but this film shows the harsh reality of what life in the stoplight is... even if they wish to be there, even if it's the one thing that fits you better than anything else. The characters in this film want it, and they won't stop until they can spread their wings and fly. I love this film because they're doing it for the joy of theatre, and because they want to be good. This is one of my favourite films, and I could watch it every day. 

2. Mother's Day 
This is kind of the opposite of the other one. It's sort of the opposite of intense. It's funny and light-hearted, and what I love about it was the different story-lines each character has. They were all unique, they were all easy to follow, despite the fact that they were weaving between one another.  Also, there are so many famous actors in this that I knew it was going to be good. A classic pick me up if you're feeling down, and you can watch it at any time.   
So that is my January Wrap Up (2018)! I hope you enjoyed it! 
What did you get up to in January? Anything exciting? Let me know in the comments, whether they're book related or not!
Let's hope for a positive February!
Byeeeee!

-Abi xxxxx





No comments:

Post a Comment