Monday 11 December 2017

Standalones I Can't Believe I Haven't Read Yet (Update)

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
Since I did an update on the trilogy/series/duology version of this last week, it seemed fitting that I do an update on the standalones (also I've read about half of them from the 2015 version anyway, so I reckon it's time for an update).
So, here's the list!
Enjoy!


1. Hunted, by Meagan Spooner
Yes, I have checked, this is, in fact a standalone, and so it's top of my list. I know little to nothing about this, except that class is a theme that's discussed, and it's also a Beauty and the Beast retelling. And it's Beauty herself that goes to hunt the Beast down, after her father goes missing. But this looks super interesting, and let's face it: there's a bunch of hype for this in Booktube. Hope to read this soon.

2. Paintbrush, by Hannah Buchin
This sounds like nothing I've ever read before, which right there is something that interests me right off the bat because I am always on the look out to read more diverse reads, and I feel like, even with just the introduction to go on, this will be quite a diverse read, for sure. I mean, it's set in India, in the town of Paintbrush Community Village, and the story is about the people of this town, but two friends in particular, and even though they are aiming for completely different things as graduation approaches, when Mitchell's mother makes an announcement that rocks the whole village, these two friends cling to eachother. This is a story that is tasked with one question: Will this friendship that has become something more, last the distance? From what I know, this is a coming of age story about romance, friendship, family, and the town of Paintbrush. If you can't tell, I can't wait to read this amazingly original book.


3. The Assassin Game, by Kirsty McKay
This is the first book that is on the list that has, after checking the reviews out on Goodreads, that has actually had mixed reviews. Yes, the concept has been done before, I bet, but I would like to take a chance on this book, just to see what I think of it, from a blogger's view. People said in the comments for this book that it's more YA than they would like, and even though that makes it sound like something I wasn't anticipating, the fact that it's more YA than I thought, might not necessarily be a bad thing. So I'm interesting to see what I think of it.

4. The Child In Time, by Ian McEwan
Basically, the way I came to possess this book was: I watched the programme starring Benedict Cumberbatch, and there was just something super interesting about seeing the repercussions of this father, and all the people around him, when his daughter just goes missing, when they go shopping one day. Seemingly out of thin air. The tv show was about what happened after. And then on impulse, I happened to find a copy in Air Ambulance, and I picked it up. This book is super short, so I hope to fly through it either this month, or in January.

5. Sleeping Beauties, by Stephen King
This one looks kind of surreal. It's a story where woman that go to sleep: do not wake up. They go into like a cocoon-ie type state. Do not wake them up, they become savage. And men are left in the world that the women leave when they fall asleep. Also, there's one woman that does can go to sleep, but does not go to this mystery land. The question stands: should this woman be studied,  or is she a demon that must be slayed? And what is this mystery land? Sleeping beauties, everybody. You see what I mean when I say it seems so surreal? Because the concept is simple, but BIG. It's like he takes something simple, but it's not small, but something that is enough to fill a whole world of book, if that makes sense. Probably doesn't, but I can't explain it any other way.

So those are the standalones that I think I want to read the most, there are undoubtedly more than that, and you can check them out on my "Want to read" page for my Goodreads. But I think those are probably my front runners at the moment. Let's hope I can read them all by the 11th December, 2018!
Mark your phone and watches people, challenge accepted!
Do you think I can do it? Let me know in the comments below!

So that is my post for today! I hope you have a good week, and I will see you all on Wednesday!
Byeeeee!

-Abi xxxxxx










No comments:

Post a Comment