Monday 10 July 2017

31-40 Books of 2017

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And even though I posted 21-30 Books of 2017 less than a month ago, I do also still need to catch up on these posts. Hence, another look back! Hope you enjoy it, and I love to hear your thoughts on these posts, whether that's constructive criticism, or praise, I like to know what you think I do well, and what I could improve on!
With further ado, let's start the post!

31. Tempest (Tempest #1), by Julie Cross
This is the first book in the tempest trilogy, and even though it was a re-read, to recap on what happened in the first book so I could continue on with the second without too much trouble, I got through it with pretty much the same feeling as I had the first time around: not too heavy, quite a light and fast read, and even though the characters didn't go into the depth that I hoped they would, they were still relatable and real enough that I didn't hate them. Quite the opposite in fact. It set up just the right amount to carry me through to the second book. Full review here if you want my thoughts on my first read through.
32. Vortex (Tempest #2), by Julie Cross
If I had one critique from the first book, it would be that you didn't have enough information about the characters to truly be pulled into their story and the story that was happening around them. That all changed in the second book. What the first book hinted at and started to go in that direction at the end of the first book pulled you to the main plot in the second. I was glad that I made the decision to re-read the first book because I would have been lost if I had attempted the second without the re-read, so watch out for that if you're currently reading this trilogy. Anyway, this book made for an intense middle of the trilogy, and I can't wait to see how it ends.
33. The Crooked Sixpence (The Uncommoners #1), by Jennifer Bell
Okay, I have to say that I read this in the space of a day, purely because I did not have anything better to do and I wanted this finished and off my shelf haunting me. Admittedly, it wasn't totally bad, the quirkiness of the characters and the world that this book introduced me to keep me engaged enough that I was curious about this absurd world, but I didn't form an emotional attachment to any of the characters, and I didn't feel the sensation to pick up the second book after I was finished (at all), so overall I don't think I'm going to continue the series as I like the way it finished.
34. The Edge of Everything (The Edge of Everything #1), by Jeff Giles
This was also a book that I finished that day (I was pulling these out all the time that week), but for a different reason. Even though the starting was kind of slow, and I vastly despise insta-love, I have to admit, after the slow and dreary start, it picked up unexpectedly, and it just carried on that way all through to the end. One thing that I loved about the characters was that they remained consistent through the book, no matter what was thrown at them, and they remained faithful to each-other no matter what (even if the insta-love was strong in this book). All in all, I am desperate to see what happens to the characters in the second book.
35. After You (Me Before You #2), by JoJo Moyes
Haunted by the end of the first book, I was loath to pick this up. But eventually, the curiosity of the other characters did after the horrific event was enough for me to pick it up. And I was reminded of the beautiful way that Moyes is able to weave the heart-breaking with the light humour that she seems able to do with every book that she publishes. When the book starts, things are far from perfect. Her family are yet to forgive Louisa for what she did 18 months ago, and there's a new character that stirs things up and turns everything backwards. But overall, if you are considering picking this book up, I urge you to do it, because I thoroughly enjoyed it and I guarantee you will too. Oh, and I have a review for it here.
I think I've talked about this book a bunch, and if you want to know my full thoughts and feelings on this book you can click the title to see my review. All I'm saying is that I loved the first book and am really anticipating the second book (it's out on the 19th September, so not long to wait!). This is basically a fight to death for the crown. Every generation three sisters, all with their own unique gift, are born, and when those three sisters are 16, the fight between the kingdoms begins.
37. Contagion (Dark Matters #1), by Teri Terry
I'm still deciding whether to post a review for this. Or maybe... let me know in the comments if you want a review! If even one of you comments, then I will for sure post one! But, if I'm honest, even if I did really enjoy this book, it was a good start to the trilogy, but it just didn't do it for me as much as I thought it would. (Of course I'm going to carry on the series, just because it was written by Teri Terry). But I'm hoping it'll pick up and I'll get a better idea of where the overall story is heading. One thing I will say is that the characters were as authentic as they are in all of her other books, which is good.
38. The Girls, by Emma Cline
What I liked about this book was that you are immediately introduced into this place, this circumstances, this situation, that you hear about, in the corner of the world, when the buildings are covered with grime and such things such as murder and darkness that seem impossible in a normal place. It's sticky and dangerous and must be avoided at all times. Based on the madson murders in 1969, Evie's story is one of a girl who has no experience with these things, but entranced by the girls' promises, she soon finds herself in this situation. It's the story to read if you are in the mood for a short, yet captivating read.
39. Orangeboy, by Patrick Lawrence
Now, as much as I enjoyed this book, the brutality with which the world of gangs and knives are shown, I admit I did have some problems. I enjoyed the first part, the introduction, how quickly events started happening after the first chapter, (that didn't feel rushed at all), but then by the end it all just got ridiculous how he just took it too far! (Sorry, it's just my opinion). All in all, even though I didn't regret reading it, but I wish it had been a bit shorter
40. I'll Give You The Sun, by Jandy Nelson (Re-read)
As I mentioned in my wrap up, I talked about how lovely it was to relive and read about the characters I'd come to love about a year ago. If you want my full thoughts on this book you can check out my review here.


So that was my 31-40 Books of 2017! Hopefully I'll be doing another one of these, since I have upped the number of books I plan to read for my Goodreads reading challenge of 2017. You can check the books I've read so far this year here. 
So that is all I have for you here! I hope you enjoyed it, and don't forget to comment whether you want me to review Contagion (in the comments below)!
I hope you have a wonderful day and I will see you on Wednesday!
Byeeeeeee!

-Abi xxxxxxx





No comments:

Post a Comment