Monday 22 May 2017

Writing Update #2 (May 2017)

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And my writing has kind of been taking a backseat in the past couple of months on this blog.
So, I thought it's time I change that. (Especially as I love writing and talking about it so much!)
So here is my second Writing Update (May 2017).
Enjoy!

Writing Update #2 (May 2017)
So, first things first. I FINISHED THE BOOK. Well... the first draft. But at least that's something solid. But the way things are going, your gonna bet that I'll be way over the word count that's recommended for the final project. The recommended word count for YA Contemporary (even though YA isn't technically a genre... but we're going with it) is 50,000- 80,000 words.
My draft is currently standing at 77,291 words... and even though I've already written the majority (from what I've seen so far), I'm bound to write a couple more thousand.

As for what I'm doing now, I'm going through the story, editing, and making sure it all makes sense, as well as listing the plot points that I want to include consistently in the book. I'm thinking about printing each chapter as I go so I can annotate it, but at the moment I'm still thinking about it.  

As much as I want to say I'm working on it consistently, the story has taken a backseat since I finished the first draft. Saying that, I want to take the rest of the year to perfect my book and get it to the best that it can be, and then maybe attempt to approach literary agencies next year, or even get just a couple of people to read it and see what they think.

Also, just for peace of mind, I've updated the formatting that I'm writing the book, to give me even a vague idea of how long the book is going to be. I've made the book double space, but it's still on a word document, at A4 size paper, at 11 font. Translated to the most that I can, I think the book will end up at approximately 320 pages, which is the size I think is just right for a YA Contemporary.

So that's pretty much all I have to update you all on for my novel (scary, calling it a novel!) for now. I hope you enjoyed the post, and let me know in the comments if you want more of these writing updates, and if so, what you would like them to be about (for example, overcoming writing slumps, how to stop micro-editing in your brain, and how to let yourself write badly, so you can edit it later, because it does help!)
But do let me know in the comments, because I love it when somebody takes the time to comment on a post!

I hope you have a wonderful day, and I will see you all on Wednesday!
Byeeeee!

-Abi xxxxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment