Sunday 23 April 2017

The Lie Tree, by Frances Hardrindge

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And since it's been a long time since I reviewed a book, and I seem to have a pile of books I've finished but haven't yet reviewed, I think it's time I start reviewing them, starting with my review of The Lie Tree, by Frances Hardringe!
Enjoy!

The Lie Tree, by Frances Hardringe
Title: The Lie Tree
Author: Frances Hardringe
Genre: Historical fiction and mystery
Release date: 7th May, 2015
Pages: 410
Blurb: "Faith has a thirst for science and secrets that the rigid confines
of her class cannot suppress. And so it is that she discovers her
disgraced father's journals, filled with 
the scribbled notes and theories of a man 
driven close to madness. Tales of a 
strange tree which, when told a lie, will
uncover the truth: the greater the lie, the
greater the truth revealed to the liar.
Faith's search for the tree leads her into 
great danger- for where lies seduce, 
truths shatter..."

My Thoughts
I don't know what I was expecting when I started this book, but that wasn't what I got (that's a good thing). 
I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I can honestly say I was super surprised how much I enjoyed it! 
The Lie Tree is set in Victorian England, and a big part of this book was the stigma that women and girls should not be Scientists, and what I liked about Faith's character was that she refused to let that stop her from discovering and learning about what she wants to do, which is become a scientist.
At the start of the novel, Faith and her family are moving hastily from Kent to an island, Vale, which is pretty much isolated from the rest of the world. The story starts to unfold when Val finds out that the reason for the move is one of her father scientific experiments. And then when her father dies under mysterious circumstances is when the story unfolds.

But what is so great about this book is that it brings the belief of magic and mystery, and a tree that thrives on lies, and brings them together in an enthralling, interesting and captivating story that will stay with you way beyond the last page.

Another thing that I loved about the book was that the description of the time period that the book was set felt so realistic, yet Hardringe was able to convey mystery and darkness into the story as well.

And all though this though-provoking, eccentric story, the story just seems to flow, paying enough detail to description and character development. The writing went from strength to strength, and it all fit so well together that I couldn't help but love it.

There wasn't much to say for the characters, they were just part of the mystery, on opposing sides as for whether magic can exist in Science, and the beliefs that a women should not be a scientist.
They were interesting, and I enjoyed reading about them, and they fit nicely into the story that centred around the Lie Tree.

So overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this read. It did an amazing job at seeping mystery and darkness into the presence of The Lie Tree, whilst also accurately conveying the reality of what it was like for a 14 year old trying to become a scientist in Victorian England.
The writing was amazing, and the plot was creepy.
And I'm so glad I read it.
I recommend this for readers who like reading about creepiness and darkness and characters that challenge the time that they're in.

So that was my review for The Lie Tree! I hope you enjoyed it (sorry it took me so long to finish it!).
But if you have any thoughts about the review, or the book itself, let me know in the comments!
I hope you have a wonderful day and I will see you tomorrow!
Byeeeeee!

-Abi xxxxx

 



No comments:

Post a Comment