Monday 27 March 2017

Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle #3), by Maggie Stiefvater

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
Today I am going to be reviewing Blue Lily, Lily Blue because I do not have enough books to do a Book Haul!
So here it is!
Enjoy!

Blue Lily, Lily Blue (The Raven Cycle #3), by Maggie Steifvater
Title: Blue Lily, Lily Blue
Author: Maggie Steifvater
Genre: Fantasy, paranormal
Release date: 21st October, 2014
Pages: 389
Blurb: "Blue Sargent has found things. For the first time in her life, she has friends she can trust, a group to which she can belong. The Raven Boys have taken her in as one of their own. Their problems have become hers, and her problems have become theirs. The trick with found things, though, is how easily they can be lost."

My Thoughts
This was the book that kind of did it for me. Up to this point, how invested I was in the story was... questionable. But then something about this book clicked, and suddenly I was hooked. It might have had something to do with the fact that the book wasn't just about getting to know the background, the premise and the characters, and that the story actually had a bit of direction this time.

A lot of this series is about the future, and the anticipation leading up to a prophesised event. And this is the book that made the leap from one point, to a closer one. And you begin to see how it all forms together in the lead up to the massive ending that is the last book.

By this point, the characters have changed and evolved so much, that you just can't help to love them. And not just as a group. They're not just one pure emotion anymore, and it's so refreshing how they've all gone through individual journeys but have emerged as a group, and it's so nice to see. And if that sounds cheesy, sorry.

Yet, I wouldn't say the characters fell by the wayside, just that they kind of blended into the whole story, instead of them being the centre of the story, and I was surprised to find that I liked it a whole lot more.

Yet, as much as I wanted to love this book, it did have some problems. When I was reading this, I just kept wanting more. It was never quite there. It was a great book, but it wasn't super amazing OMG WHAT IS HAPPENING. But those problems were kind of insignificant compared to what I liked about this book.

Now, the writing. Steifvater is so good at painting a picture in your mind and making you a part of the story that it's almost a crime. Just the way she writes the characters, makes them intricate, yet gives them flaws of their own, and makes them come alive on the page, it's just magical.

There's a sprinkling of romance in this book too, which is something else I want to talk about. The romance was just enough, yet again. It played it's part, which was prominent at some points, but it was never the main plotline.
It gave the reader the time to think about the MASSIVE NOSE DIVES AND PLOTS TWISTS, try to get their head around all the mythology, and just enjoy the story, which was ridiculously easy to do.

Overall, I'm starting to think that these books do actually get better every book (and I am right, because I've already finished it, and it was AMAZING). This was the perfect lead up to the finale in the series, and my favourite so far.
I recommend this for those that want to read something that is truly different to the world of YA Paranormal, mainly because of the lack (but also prominent) of romance, or love triangle. 
I loved this book.

Hey! So that was my review of Blue Lily, Lily Blue: the third book in the Raven Cycle series, and my second favourite in the series! I hope you enjoyed the review, I'm sorry it was kind of all over the place, but that's just the way my thoughts went when writing this review!
I still hope you enjoyed it, and I hope it encourages you to pick it up because it truly is a really really decent book that I did really enjoy!

So I hope you have a wonderful day and I will see you all on Wednesday!
Byeeee!

-Abi xxxxx 


No comments:

Post a Comment