Saturday 4 February 2017

Wayfarer (Passenger #2), by Alexandra Bracken

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And I since I've read a butt ton of books within the last week or so, it means I have to more reviews.
The last review I posted was Passenger. Which means that the next book I will be reviewing is Wayfarer, the second and last book in the series.
So here is my review!

Wayfarer (Passenger #2), by Alexandra Bracken
Title: Wayfarer
Author: Alexandra Bracken
Genre: Fantasy
Release date: 3rd January, 2017
Pages: 532
Blurb: "I'm coming. Stay alive. I'll find you."
TEXAS, 1905
Etta Spencer didn't know she was a traveller until the day
she found herself just miles, but years from home.
Now, Etta is stranded in time and separated from the boy
she loves. At the time of mercy of a family she once thought her
enemy, Etta learns of a new Ironwood plot, more dangerous
than she could have imagined: to destroy the future she
longs to belong to.

THE BAHAMAS, 1776
Devastated by Etta's disappearance, Nicholas enlists the
help of Sophia Ironwood. But after a deadly mistake derails
their search, an ancient power emerges, more frightening
than the Ironwood plot- a power that threatens to
eradicate time altogether.

INTO THE UNKNOWN
From New York to San Francisco, Imperial Russia
to the Vatican catacombs, Etta and Nicholas must
desperately fight to reach each other..."

My Thoughts
What can I say about this book? It was definitely the perfect book to finish the Passenger duology, that's for sure. What else? You met more characters, and learnt more about the existing ones.
In summary: absolutely amazing.

And it was. What I liked in particular was that this book told us more about the world, and we got to see more of what the side characters thought about each-other, apart from Etta and Nicholas. Most of learning about the world came from the new characters we met along the way to be honest.
And to be honest, I liked the characters we got introduced to in this book than most of the others we met in Passenger to be honest.
Saying that, the character development for the people we met in Passenger (Nicholas, Etta, and Sophia in particular) meant that I really enjoyed that aspect of the story.
But what I really liked was that the story wasn't just about the two main characters this time. Yes, the goal was to meet and be with each-other again, but there were a ton of different things that were started in Passenger, but then were formed and developed into something new.
And during all that, the time travelling wasn't lost either. Because our two main characters were in different places, jumping from time to time, trying to find each-other. Which also meant that we got two perspectives.
The two perspectives thing was both good and bad. At least in my opinion. In some parts, I was kind of lost. It was hard to keep track of who we were following at any given time, and they also felt really rushed. But what was good about them was that they added to the feeling that we found out more about the world, because we knew exactly what the main characters were doing. (If that makes sense).

This book was also chock-a-block with action and violence, which is always a good thing is this type of book. And I will say that not one scene was boring in this book like, at least one interesting thing happened in every single scene, whether it be, a character did something life threatening, they jumped to a different location, or we found out something interesting about a character.

Also, THIS BOOK WAS SO UNPREDICTABLE. There were scenes where I literally read something, I had to close the book and just take a minute to grasp what had happened. And then carry on reading. Because it was amazing.

Now the plot. I hate to say it, but I'm going to. I definitely thought it was better than Passenger. I did enjoy Passenger, but the plot was just amazing in this one. I liked that it wasn't completely focused on the two main characters, (even though that was always the main goal), but that wasn't the only focus, which made for an overall more well-rounded book. Also, this plot was a lot more spaced out. I mean, there was still the action and the violence, but there were gentle and fun scenes as well, which we didn't get a whole lot of in Passenger.
Which made the book a lot better in my opinion because, even though the whole book wasn't FIGHTING AND VIOLENCE, it wasn't boring either. There were scenes where the characters struggled, scenes where the main focus seemed to the characters, and then the action came.
Those action scenes were absolutely incredible though, don't doubt that, because they were.

Overall, I thought this was a really good book to end the duology on, because it ,essentially, wrapped everything and everybody up. I did feel satisfied with the ending, and I'm glad I read it.
If anyone is on the fence as to read these or not, I totally recommend it, because it is worth the read, even if it's a big time commitment.
Because it was so good.

So that was my review of Wayfarer, by Alexandra Bracken! I hope you enjoyed it, and if you have any thoughts, let me know in the comments below!
So, I hope you have a wonderful day and I will see you all on Monday!
Byeeeeee!

-Abi xxxxxx




No comments:

Post a Comment