Wednesday 18 January 2017

Frostblood (Frostblood Saga #1), by Elly Blake

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And I am full of reviews this month! This is my second one in a row, and my *after checking this month's posts* fifth review this month! (Including Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them) out of seven!
But I still need to post this review, because I've still got a ton more than I need to do as well (three, including this one). So if you aren't a fan of reviews, this is my warning, this week is going to be full of reviews, so just a head's up.
That's enough babbling, let's get on with my review of Frostblood (Frostblood #1), by Elly Blake!

Frostblood (Frostblood Saga #1), by Elly Blake
Title: Frostblood
Author: Elly Blake
Genre: Fantasy
Release date: 12th January
Pages: 304
Blurb: "YOU ARE A
FIREBLOOD
You can turn your enemies
to ashes and burn
villages to the ground

Hunted to near extinction
by Frostblood warriors,
you live in constant
fear of discovery

But your heart burns
for revenge..."

My Thoughts
So leading up to reading this, I admit that I was kind of hesitant, because the last couple books like this (Snow like Ashes, cough cough) I didn't particularly like. So I wasn't really looking forward to reading it. But, after considering it for a while, I figured that I needed to get through my TBR.
And so I picked it up.
To my immense surprise, I absolutely loved it.
I was thrown right into this world, and everything in it.
Most of that was the writing- it was infectious, and I was sucked right into the story from the get go.

Nothing about the book really stood out (that's a good thing). Why, you ask? Because it all had the right amount of everything. It was more of a plot driven book, so the characters didn't really have much background, but what they did do was learn. Ruby, the protagonist, this short-tempered inferno that the story was centred around, attempted to control her inferno, because at the beginning, it raged out of control, constantly threatening to overwhelm the entire town and bring an end to all their lives. In terms of character development, that was all we got, but that was enough for this heavily infested, plot driven story.
That was all we needed.

Now, the plot. The plot structure kind of fluctuated a lot. Which surprisingly, I liked. Because you got a lot of information all at once, and even though that was kind of chaotic, I liked knowing what was up and what was actually going on, to be honest. Yeah, that might make it kind of boring for you guys, but I thought it made a nice change not to be totally confused.  
The plot had a lot of action in it. And when there was action and fighting, YOU KNEW ABOUT IT. It was so clear, not confusing at all during these scenes. And it wasn't just fighting either, they used their fire and frost as well. But these fights were so epic and amazing, it's worth reading it just for those scenes to be honest.

The story starts when Ruby's town is overrun and killed, including Ruby's mother because Ruby has been found to be a fireblood. In this story, Frostbloods are the rulers, and Firebloods are being captured and or killed, if found. Ruby is carted off to the prison of the King, where she is left, so her power can slowly weaken and die, taking her with it.
But, she escapes! (Big shocker, right? Nope!) 
And from then, the goal is to other-throw the king, but to do that she will have to master her power, the powerful inferno that she can't control.
(It's a lot better than I'm making it sound, trust me!)

How good the writing was really surprised me. Because even though nothing much was happening, it still felt like something was actually going on. That's how good the writing is.
The best part of the writing was the world building. There was more description than what I usually like, but the writing was so intricate and detailed, yet not so detailed that I couldn't follow the description. It also made it super easy to picture what Elly Blake was describing when it came to description.
This writing was just amazing. Just amazing.

So overall... how can I sum up this book?
I felt satisfied with it. I was reading it, reading it, and before I knew it, I was done! It was the end of the book.
 I need the sequel now, so I can see what happens.
Though to be honest, I was happy with the ending.
But I still want to see what happens.
Just so you know, I totally and completely recommend this book to anyone who wants an infested, fast and plot-driven story where things happen that leave you shocked! Trust me.
The writing and the world building and the plot leave you infested in it all.
And there is romance and team-work there as well. The characters are also good, even though they weren't mentioned much in this review.
But just go and read the book, so we can talk about it!

And if you have any thoughts about this review, or the book itself, comment down below!
I hope you all have a wonderful day and I will see you all soon!
Byeeeee!

-Abi xxxxxx











No comments:

Post a Comment