Thursday 4 August 2016

On the Other Side, by Carrie Hope Fletcher

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And it turns out I can post while I'm on holiday!
But I'm not going to be blogging everyday because I am on holiday, but still, here's a surprise post to keep you all until I get back on Monday!
So I finished this a few days ago, plus it's been ages since I did a review (seems likes months, but it's actually only been 2 weeks) so I figured, why not?

So here's my review of On the Other Side, by Carrie Hope Fletcher!


On the Other Side, by Carrie Hope Fletcher

Title: On the Other Side
Author: Carrie Hope Fletcher
Genre: Contemporary, romance, and a bit of fantasy thrown in there
Release date: 14th July, 2016
Pages: 340
Blurb:" Your soul is too heavy
to pass through this door;
Leave the weight of the world
in the world from before

Evie Snow is eighty-two years old when she quietly passes away in her sleep, surrounded by her children and grandchildren. It's the way most people wish to leave the world but when Evie reaches the door of her own private heaven, she finds that she's become her twenty-seven year old self and the door won't open. 

Evie's soul must be light enough to pass through she she needs to get rid of whatever is making her soul heavy. For Evie, this means unburdening herself of the three secrets which have weighed her down for over fifty years, so she must find a way to reveal them before it's too late. As Evie begins the journey of a lifetime, she learns more about life and love than she ever thought possible, and somehow, some way, she also may find her way back to the only man she ever truly loved... "


My Thoughts
So the fact that I enjoyed this book is kind of an understatement. I loved the characters, especially the details I was given about their personalities; I loved the route that the story took, and I loved that the story flowed incredibly easily. Plus I finished it in a day and a half.

With contemporaries you always want the writing to flow, and this one did so perfectly. So perfectly in fact, that some of the plot that would have seemed too out there for contemporaries (such as walked around inside of a huge cat) kind of normalised the situation, if that makes sense. 
So overall, the whole thing was beautifully written, and it just... flowed. 

Now, on to the characters. They all had a different part to play in this adorable yet funny story, but first and foremost, they were just... cute! The conversations they had, the way they found each-other, it all just screamed cute!
But what I loved most about the character was the details. For example, the fact that one of the characters had a birthday on the creepiest day of the year, for me, was hilarious! 
Also, let me just say that I particularly loved the main character Evie, and you can actually see some of Carrie's (the author) personality in Evie. (I say some, I actually mean A LOT) and that is actually a good thing. (Evie is bubbly and quirky, but she is also really stubborn and she will sacrifice something for someone she is close with in like a heartbeat. Slight spoiler there, sorry)
But I really did love the characters, and if you like books where characters are a big part of the story, as I do, I totally recommend you pick this up. 

Now... the plot. I really enjoyed the plot, because there were some twists that I didn't see coming. They weren't like massive, but I did really like the direction the story took me, and I wasn't surprised at how it ended really. (I don't really want to tell you all much about it because I want you all to read it, because I did really love it). 

So that is my review on On the Other Side, by Carrie Hope Fletcher! 
I hope you enjoyed it, and I will see you all on Monday! (If I don't post sooner, and at this point, I'm not sure whether I will be able to or not)
So I will see you all soon. Byeeee!

-Abi xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment