Sunday 10 July 2016

Red Queen (Red Queen #1), by Victoria Aveyard (Re-read)

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And I deliberately didn't post anything this morning because I wanted to post this review today, because I haven't posted a review since last month, and it's already a third of the way through the month!

(Wow, where is this month going?!)

Anyway, here's my review of Red Queen (Red Queen #1), by Victoria Aveyard!

Red Queen (Red Queen #1), by Victoria Aveyard (Re-read)
Title: Red Queen 
Author: Victoria Aveyard 
Genre: Kind of hard to place it in a genre because truthfully there's bit of everything. 
Release date: 10th February, 2015
Pages: 383
Blurb:
 "This is a world divided by blood- red or silver. 

Reds are commoners, ruled by a Silver elite in possession of God-like superpowers. And to Mare Barrow, a seventeen-year-old Red girl from poverty-stricken Stilts, it seems like nothing will ever change. 

That is, until a twist of fate brings her before the Silver court. Here, surrounded by the people she hates the most, Mare discovers that despite her red blood, she possessed a deadly ability of her own. 

Fearful of Mare's potential, the King hides her in plain view: betrothed to his youngest son. Trapped, Mare decides to use her new position to bring down the regime- from the inside. 

But this is a game of betrayal and lies, and Mare has entered a dangerous dance- Reds against Silvers, prince against prince, and Mare against her own heart... "



My Thoughts
My feelings about this book before I started it were iffy, because last time I read this, I remember liking it, but not being completely in love with it. But I guess this is one of those books where you enjoy it more the second time round, because (surprisingly) I found myself remembering more (I mean, that might have been because I'd already read it, but I seriously don't think it was) and being able to separate which characters did what, and how Mare's relationship (the protagonist) was affected by that, which is... good. 

So. This book. What can I say about this book...

It was great. Like again, not completely in love with it (yes, still), but I did really like it, and definitely more than I did when I read it for the first time, so approximately a year ago. The writing makes it really easy to get into, because it's description enough, but the balance between the dialogue and the description was actually really good. Also, it was incredibly clear, so you could still keep track of everything that was happening, even in the action scenes. 

Okay, the characters. The characters were a very big part of the book, which I really liked. I liked Mare, because she wasn't just a scared character who was finding out what was going on in a world she didn't understand. She was fairly spunky, and it really seemed like she was fearless because even though you could tell that she was scared, she acknowledged that, and she faced it head on, because  that is who she is. I did also like the other characters, like a lot too. For your own benefit though, I'm not really going to say any more about them because it will kind of ruin the plot, because the characters are severally intertwined with the plot. 

But the plot! OMG, the plot! The blurb says "But this is a game of betrayal and lies", and damn right it was! There was nothing but betrayal and lies, that was the foundation of the book, because you really get the feel that you cannot trust anyone, which I really liked. There were also a bunch of death too, but it really wasn't depressing at all, which is a really hard thing to do, because death is depressing. Oh, and the plot twists, you just don't expect, they just come out of nowhere! 

So, if you guys can't tell, I did really enjoy this book. Okay, maybe that's a bit of an understatement. I loved this book, and if you are on the fence about whether you want to read this, I employ you to. Especially as Glass Sword is also out, and you can read them one after the other, as I am going to do! 

So that is my review on Red Queen! If you have any thoughts on Red Queen, feel free to comment below, because your comments make my day! I will see you all tomorrow, when I will most likely be doing a book tag of some sort because it's been like a month since I did one! So, bye, and I will see you all tomorrow!

Again, bye!

-Abi xxxxxx



No comments:

Post a Comment