Sunday 19 June 2016

Top 5 Father Characters

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And since it is Father's day, I thought I'd list some of the top fathers in YA books! I mean, I did it for Mother's day, so I think it makes sense that I do it for Father's day too.
Because if it weren't for our dads, we wouldn't be here would we? Also, dads are great, so why not?
So let's get on with the list!


Top 5 Father Characters
Now, I've been searching my bookshelves for some father characters, and I can barely think of three to be honest. WE NEED MORE FATHER CHARACTERS. But I did manage to find a couple, so these are the ones I did get to find:

1. Charlie Swan, from the "Twilight Saga", by Stephenie Meyer
Charlie. What can I say about Charlie? Hmmmm... Well, you can tell that he loves Bella very much, so he is incredibly caring and sweet, but also awkward. I think what I really love about Charlie Swan is that he is real. I mean like, he doesn't appear to be the perfect dad. He isn't perfect, but he's caring and you can tell he feels things quite deeply.                                        Also, he's a cop, so he cares about doing what's right and finding out the truth, and it also shows that he wants to protect people from harm, and in extension, Bella. (That may seem like some psychobabble, but that's what I think). Love this character so much!

2. Mr Weasley, from the "Harry Potter" series, by J K Rowling 
I feel like Mr Weasley is a must when I do a list like this, just like Mrs Weasley was. He has a cool fascination with muggle things, he's incredibly loyal of his family, and their friends (Harry and Hermione).      He is also a protector, and a genuinely good person. He always treated Harry like one of his own, and he raised a bunch of decent wizards (along with Mrs Weasley, of course). Mr Weasley is just awesome.  

3. Art, from "Fangirl", by Rainbow Rowell 
This guy may be a bit unpredictable, but he is a loving and caring. Plus, I think the fact that he is more unpredictable means that we see him in a more vulnerable light. This is both a good and bad thing, because on one hand, you got to see a side of him that you don't normally get to see in fathers, (at least in real life ones) but that is also something that you don't want to think about. But it's there. And I love that Rainbow Rowell included this in Fangirl, because just because people don't often see what Art is struggling with, doesn't mean that it isn't there. Because it is. 


4. Hans Hubermann, from "The Book Thief", by Markus Zusak
Hans. OMG, Hans. This character just makes me want to cry. So sweet and sympathetic. He is consistent until the very end. His relationship with Liesel is so special. Generous, kind and patient, he is one of my favourite characters in this book. That is basically all I can say that won't spoil the book for those that haven't read it. (Get on it immediately). 


5. Dervish, from the "Demonata" series, by Darren Shan 
Okay, I know this one is technically an uncle, but he really was like a dad to Grubbs, from the time of the first book to the tenth one. He was there for Grubbs through all the stuff he went through. He was his teacher, teaching him about magic, lycanthrophy, Lord Loss; he was the warrior, fighting demons and using magic himself; but mostly he was the father to Grubbs, the security that was always there when he needed it. I put this character in the list because it shows that a father doesn't have to be flesh and blood to be a father. And I think Dervish is a massive representative of that. 

So that is my top 5 Father Characters! If any of you have some thoughts on anything that I have talked about in this post, let me know! Your comments make my day! I'll see you all tomorrow, and at this point I have no idea what I'm going to post, but I'll see you all tomorrow anyway! So, bye!

-Abi xxxxx 


No comments:

Post a Comment