Friday 17 June 2016

Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children #1), by Ransom Riggs

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And it looks like I'm back to reviews! But don't worry this is a popular one- Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children!
I thought I should read it sometime soon because the film is coming out in September, plus it is 2016 and it came out in 2011... yeah...

So here's the review! Enjoy!


Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children #1), by Ransom Riggs
Title: Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children
Author: Ransom Riggs
Genre: Fantasy 
Release date: 7th June, 2011
Pages: 352
Blurb: "A mysterious island. An abandoned orphanage. A strange collection of peculiar photographs. It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience. As our story opens, a horrific family sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling remains of Miss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores it's decaying bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that Miss Peregrine's children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow- impossible though it may seems- they may still be alive."


My Thoughts
They way everyone talked about this book gave me impossibly high expectations. I was hoping to love this book, but I just didn't. It was okay, I mean, I did enjoy it, but not as much as I hoping to. So I have it 3.65 stars. 

It took a while for the plot to get going. I just wanted Jacob to meet the peculiars, and to get the plot going, but saying that, I did really like the backstory, and I liked the way Jacob found out about it all. I just thought it took a while for Jacob to meet the other characters, that's all. 

One thing I did like was the slow and slightly creepy element to the novel, which I think part of it comes from the photos, (which by the way, were perfectly woven into the story). The fact that they looked so real made it better (okay, I  know that they were probably not real because I just looked through them). But they just gave it that bit more. It definitely made it stand out, at least. 

It picked up a bit towards the end, when there were actually some events that kept me interested. It was also quite a quick and straightforward read, so that helped. 
Saying that, if it weren't for the ending I probably would have stopped reading it, because even thought the hype was massive, I just wasn't feeling it. (Might not have though, because this book is only 352 pages). 

But honestly, I was expecting so much more than what I got, so sorry those that seem to love it, I just... didn't. 

Will I be continuing the trilogy? Odds are, yes I will because 1) These books are so incredibly tiny, why not? And 2) The hype. 


So that is all that I have for you guys today! Ill see you tomorrow, bye!

Oh before I forget! I'm thinking of stopping my TBR jar challenge. I mean like, stopping just picking one out each month, and whenever I read a book that is tied to a category, just crossing it out like that, and getting them all out the way so I can focus on re-reading my favourites before the end of 2016. I'm thinking of doing this because right now I have a lot of books in my TBR pile that are tied to categories for my TBR jar challenge, and I just think it'll be a lot more satisfying if I finish them all at once, when I decide that I want to read them. So, let me know in the comments what you guys think I should do, okay?

Okay, bye (for real now)!

-Abi xxxxx




No comments:

Post a Comment