Friday 20 May 2016

My Top Standalones

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And I was on the fence as to whether I should a book haul for this post, but since I have a couple books coming to my house in the next couple of days, I decided against it.
So, with much consideration, (and after checking that I hadn't done it before) I decided to list my favourite standalones.
Enjoy!

My Top Standalones
When I decided to do this list I was like "I'm gonna enjoy this" because if there is one thing I like, it is a good standalone.
So with further ado, here's the list of my favourite standalones!

1. Before I Die, by Jenny Downham
It just occurred to me that people who have just found my blog probably think I'm super depressing because I feel like I mention this in pretty much every post that I have the chance. 
But anyway, I love this book so much! It's about a girl who has leukaemia, but before she dies she has a list of things that she wants to do. 
But getting what you want isn't easy, and sometimes the most unexpected things become important (that was a quote).
I can read this book in one sitting, and it makes me cry every single time (it's so beautifully tragic, also because of Tessa's character and how she is with everything). Totally and completely recommend this book.


2. Mind Games, by Teri Terry
Okay, this book is kind of a standalone, because there is a book called Dangerous Games (it says #1.5, so I'm not sure whether it is a standalone, but I'm considering it a standalone because it's one of my favourite books of all time). Love everything about this book. It's written by Teri Terry, so providing the plot was okay, it was going to be on my favourite standalone list. I think what I love most about this book was the world building, because this world is unlike every other world I've read about in what seems like forever (it's set in a Virtual world where everyone lives online). Love this book so very much! 


3. I'll Give You The Sun, by Jandy Nelson
I only read this book back in March, I think, so not that long ago, but I still love this book. I can just relate to it so much, and I know the whole point of a contemporary book is to relate but I do, specifically because this one is about twins, and their both artsy, and they're both struggling with something (I'm not struggling with much, but I'm pretty sure everyone has struggled with something at one point). Also, the ending is do God damn beautiful I had to put it on the list!

4. My Sister's Keeper, by Jodi Picoult
Okay, I think this book is one of the most well known to all ages, not just teens, mainly because they made a film out of it. It surrounds a family, and the core of this book is that one child, Kate has acute prophylactic leukaemia, and her sister, Anna, is sueing her parents for the rights to her own body (she was born so she could be a donor for Kate). This book jumps from family member, which I really love. Also, her mum is the lawyer on the opposing case, which causes tensions to run high. And then that ending, oh my god, I was not expecting that. 
And if you've seen the film and think you know what I'm talking about, you don't. Go read it!


5. Fangirl, by Rainbow Rowell
This book has the cutest romance in the history of the world, and it is yet again another contemporary book that I can totally relate to. This book is quite popular so I think most people know the plot, but this book is about a girl called Cath who has a twin (Wren) and up until they go to University they did everything together. But then when they went to University, and Wren wanted to be her own person. It's not so easy for Cath. She would rather stay in her room and write fan fiction. This book is from the point of view, and we see her journey of her first year at University, as she meets new people and gains confidence. Read this book in one day, loved it. 


6. The Book Thief, by Markus Zusak
This book was a breath of fresh air from what I normally like to read, and that's part of why I love this book so much. This book is a breath of fresh air because 1) It is set in Germany, in World War II, and also because it is narrated. This is one of the more popular books on this list, because there is a film. I haven't seen the film, because apparently they change some things in terms of plot, and it might ruin the book for me. Love this book though (because it involves books). 


7. Let it Snow, by Maureen Johnson, John Green and Lauren Myracle
This book is yet another cutesie romance that I read in a day. I say that it's just one, but it's actually three short stories that cross over. I liked them all (most of them) but I have to say that Maureen Johnson's story stole the show. 
It's the perfect Christmas romance book. I would really recommend this book to anyone who wants a romance that isn't too deep (best to read it around Christmas time, I think). 

8. All the Bright Places, by Jennifer Niven
This writing in this book is so beautiful its unreal, as is everything else, but particularly the description. Love the characters, just everything. It ticks all the boxes. Also, it's tragic and honest, and it opened my eyes to a subject that didn't really exist before. There needs to be more books about this subject. And then the ending. Knock-out. Highly recommend. 


So those are my top standalones! I really hope you enjoyed it, and if you guys have any thoughts on any of these books, let me know! Okay, bye!

-Abi xxxxx








No comments:

Post a Comment