Monday 9 May 2016

City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments #2), by Cassandra Clare

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And as I have promised many times before, today I am doing my City of Ashes book review!
So let's get on with the post!

City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments #2), by Cassandra Clare
Title: City of Ashes
Author: Cassandra Clare
Genre: Action & Fantasy
Release date: 25th March, 2008
Pages: 453
Blurb: "Clary Fray just wishes that her life would go back to normal. But what's normal when you're a demon-slaying Shadowhunter, your mother is in a magically induced coma, and you can suddenly see Downworlders like werewolves, vampires, and faeries? If Clary left the world of the Shadowhunters behind, it would mean more time with her best friend, Simon, who's becoming more than a friend. But the Shadowhunting world isn't ready to let her go — especially her handsome, infuriating, newfound brother, Jace. And Clary's only chance to help her mother is to track down rogue Shadowhunter Valentine, who is probably insane, certainly evil — and also her father.

To complicate matters, someone in New York City is murdering Downworlder children. Is Valentine behind the killings — and if he is, what is he trying to do? When the second of the Mortal Instruments, the Soul-Sword, is stolen, the terrifying Inquisitor arrives to investigate and zooms right in on Jace. How can Clary stop Valentine if Jace is willing to betray everything he believes in to help their father?

In this breathtaking sequel to City of Bones, Cassandra Clare lures her readers back into the dark grip of New York City's Downworld, where love is never safe and power becomes the deadliest temptation."



My Thoughts
Okay guys, right of the bat, I'm going to say that this review is going to have spoilers, so if you haven't read the book, go away (sorry for being so harsh) and come back when you have read the book. Okay? Bye!

Okay, now for my thoughts about specific points in the book. Here they are:
 1. Simon sounds like a better kisser than Jace
2. Seems to be more about the side characters, rather than Clary, and I like that. Also, you get to see the positions of the other characters, not just Clary making bad decisions (gets boring after a bit, I mean, thrown into new world, your gonna make mistakes, and be a bit overwhelmed, but it's a bit annoying with Clary).
3. (On page 82) What is the situation with Clary and Simon?
4. (On page 200) To anyone who has read Carry On and up to the end of this book in the series, Simon is like a combination of Baz and Simon now.
5. I feel like Clary's special power thing is going to be useful from this point in the story.
6. Also, she blew a ship on fire, awesome!
7. No! Clary and Simon broke up!

8. What?! Clary's mother can be woken up!

Yeah, but other than that, I liked the characters so much more in this book, as opposed to the first book. You get more of an insight into them, rather than just Clary. Isabelle still irritates me so much, but I like most of the other characters.

I don't really have much else to say except for the fact that I really did enjoy this book. I would recommend this to anyone that thinks that they might enjoy it. Let's hope the next book is as this one. I sincerely hope so.

So that is all that I have for you guys today! I will either be doing a review of City of Glass on Wednesday, or a list of summer contemporaries that I want to read later on this year, haven't decided yet. Bye!

-Abi xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment