Wednesday 20 April 2016

More Than This, by Patrick Ness

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And I finished More Than This, by Patrick Ness!
So here's the review!

More Than This, by Patrick Ness
Title: More Than This
Author: Patrick Ness
Genre: Young Adult
Release date: 5th September 2013
Pages: 480
Blurb: "A boy drowns, desperate and alone in his final moments. He dies. 
Then he wakes, naked, bruised and thirsty, but alive.
How can this be? And what is this strange, deserted place? 
As he struggles to understand what is happening, the boy dares to hope. Might this not be the end? Might there be more to this life, or perhaps this afterlife?" 

My Thoughts
I was kind of apprehensive about reading this, because when I read The Knife of Never Letting Go, I didn't enjoy it all that much. But this one seemed more interesting, plus I read The Knife of Never Letting Go like three years ago, plus everyone seems to be enjoying Patrick Ness books nowadays, so why shouldn't I give it a try? 
Also, I knew I was never going to read this book if I didn't take some initiative and make a conscious effort to read it and since it fit the bill for the "Read a book that has been released in the last three years", I figured I should it and I was so glad that I did. 

I'm gonna be honest. For the first half of the book, I was bored to tears. I was considering putting the book down, and reading something else instead. But I had already given up on Attachments, later on this month and I didn't want to do it again. 
I mean, the first like 100 pages were good, the start of a new book, getting used to the characters, or in this case, character, since he is alone (who knows why), but from the 100 page barrier to about 70 pages later, nothing happened. I was quite bored, actually. Despite the writing, which was beautiful all the way through, nothing really grabbed my attention. 
But then, about 70 pages later, it all changed. Things started happening, almost as if it was a different book. It completely picked up. 

By the way, this is the sort of book that I think you should go into without knowing too much about it. I don't normally say that, because I like to be sure that I'm going to like a book that I'm reading, but for this book you should go straight into it. 

Okay, the plot for this book was amazing (once it got going). Some of the events that happened in the book I was not expecting, (when I reached one of these events I was on the bus, I literally gasped out loud, and I'm pretty sure I got some concerned looks, which was quite funny at the time). 

The characters were so real. Like characters in this type of book are normally just there, and you don't really get to know them, but in this one, you actually do. I'm now going to tell you how, because that is pretty major book spoilers, just go read it. 

The writing was beautiful, all the way through. Super descriptive as well. 

So overall, the first part was quite slow, but it majorly picked up once it got going. If you are considering reading this book, read it. And if you are approximately 150 pages in and considering giving it up, KEEP GOING. It gets better, a lot. Seriously. 

So, those are my thoughts on More Than This, by Patrick Ness! I hope you enjoyed my review, I will see you on Friday, were I will be talking about what I plan to read in the Dewey Read-a-thon on Saturday! Byeeeee!

-Abi xxxxx






No comments:

Post a Comment