Wednesday 23 March 2016

Demon Road (Demon Road #1), by Derek Landy

Hey guys, this is Abi here,
And I left this post until later because I thought I'd try finishing Demon Road and doing a review for it, and I just finished it on the bus!
So, here's the review!

Demon Road (Demon Road #1), by Derek Landy
Title: Demon Road
Author: Derek Landy
Genre: Action & Adventure
Release date: 28th August, 2015
Pages: 508 
Blurb: "FOR ANYONE WHO EVER THOUGHT THEIR PARENTS WERE MONSTERS...
Amber Lamont is a normal sixteen-year-old. Smart but insecure, she spends most of her time online, where she can avoid her beautiful, aloof parents and their weird friends. 
But when a shocking encounter reveals a horrifying family secret, Amber is forced to go on the run. Killer cars, vampires, unread serial killers and red-skinned, horned demons- Amber hurtles from one threat to the next, revealing the terror woven into the very fabric of her life. As her parents close in behind her, Amber's only chance rests with her fellow travellers, who are not at all what they appear to be..." 

My Thoughts
I'm feeling full of adrenaline, excited and a little scared- Full of adrenaline because I loved the book; excited for the sequel, Desolation, which comes out on the 31st March, and scared- when my cat ran in, his eyes looked like they were glowing, and it freaked me out a bit. 
No, I'm kidding. I loved this book once it got started. To be honest, I'm not quite sure why it took me so long to get past the 100 page mark, but from what I saw from the updates on Goodreads, I read the other 400 in approximately two days, so it really picked up for me after the 100 page mark. 
The whole book was classic Landy, and that isn't a bad thing, oh no. The characters were incredibly witty and interesting, often funny, and I didn't find any of them irritating, which is a first. 
The plot was explosive (as Derek Landy's books always), and the journey that the characters had was a whirlwind of action, shock and you cheering your favourite characters on as they accomplished impossible feats, and all whilst being completely bad-ass and cool (super embarrassed to say bad-ass and cool, but they are). 
The writing was straight and to the point. Not too much description, but the incredibly funny dialogue more than made up for that. 
Now, this book may be considered a children's book, but I still highly recommend this soon to be series, maybe trilogy. (Skulduggery Pleasant had 9 books in the series, and two spin-offs in the series, so I have no idea how long this one will go on for). 

Okay, so those are my thoughts on demon road! I hope you enjoyed this post, if you have any thoughts please don't hesitate to let me know. I will see you on Friday, and bye! 

-Abi xxxxx

No comments:

Post a Comment